A brief history of Bridgend
The following pages tell briefly the history of the town of Bridgend from the coming of the Normans in about 1093 to the end of the twentieth century.
Bridgend is situated about midway between Swansea and Cardiff and a few miles North of the Bristol Channel coast, in the County of Mid Glamorgan.
It is served by two junctions of the M4 Motorway, junction 35 to the east and 36 to the North.
After the formation of the Welsh Assembly Government the County Councils were disbanded and the powers and responsibilities of the County Councils passed to the tier below. Bridgend County Borough Council replaced Ogwr Borough Council and took on an expanded area including Maesteg and Porthcawl.