1300 to 1499

 

  • 1322

The Lordship of Ogmore became part of the Honour of Lancaster after the forfeiture and execution of Thomas of Lancaster.

 

  • 1325

The church of St. Mary, Coity was completed around this time.

 

  • 1360

After nine generations, on the death without male issue of Richard, last of the male line of the Turberville of Coity, the Lordship of Coity passed by marriage to Sir Richard Berkrolles of East Orchard, St. Athan.

 

  • 1404-5

The forces of Owain Glyndwr besieged Coity Castle and destroyed the manorial mill at Ogmore and severely damaged   Newcastle Castle and Church. King Henry IV sent a force to retake the area which included the Prince of Wales, later to become King Henry V.

 

  • Abt 1425

The old stone bridge over the river Ogmore, alongside an important ford, was built. It originally had three water arches with a small arch at each end. It was badly damaged by a flood in 1775 and rebuilt but part of the original structure remains. It is recorded as the first substantial bridge over the river Ogmore and Bridgend derives its name from this bridge.

 

  • 1444

This year saw the earliest reference to Bridgend as Bryggen Eynde. It referred to a settlement at the eastern end of the Old Bridge (above) spreading along a track to Nolton. From this track was another leading to the lower ford at Water Street. This track was the Rhiw (still there) which now leads to a new bridge over the river Ogmore.

 

 

Created with DrExplain
Unregistered version